By Lisa Bobisa
*dispatch: Oklahoma City*
1. it is SO nice to have music again. i think i must have mailed my ipod cord to my moms place so i have had a serious lack of it lately, and way too much cable and network tv. rachel has a banging little ipod speaker set and i sitting here jamming out, re-writing my resume and just stewing in how much healing power music really holds. it also makes me giggle that i have such disparate taste in music. my two favorite albums right now are folk rock (the new wooden wand) and the new earl sweatshirt. and i am thrilled beyond words to have found out that the flaming lips play an annual new years show in okc. cannot wait to get a paycheck so i can not only get tickets to that show but also buy (not dl, for once. well except that i paid for the new wooden wand because i wanted it early lol) the new j b beverly album that just dropped like last week….. all amazing artists… all totes different.
2. it feels really good to know the people in my life who truly love me are there for me through the thick and the thin. losing my wife a little over four months ago because they refused to have a conversation with me face to face and chose to instead take the easy way out and start dating yet another co-worker (well, volunteer if I’m gonna keep it real: more unprofessional imho) was a devastating blow but also speaks more to their character than my own. my true friends and real family continue to show themselves to be the amazing and strong people i need to surround myself with in this crazy mixed-up world and the cream always rises to the top in the end….this knowledge does not keep me from being sad and disappointed and even angry sometimes still. when i got merged i meant for it to be for life and it is a harsh reality for me to realize i may never find one person who can commit to loving me in that manner forever. thankfully lots of other people love me and i will figure out a way to adjust. i am mutable like that. thankfully and humbly.
3. glad i jumped right into cooking and staying mindful of consuming healthy whole foods even if i am tempted by the plethora of amazing junk food oklahoma has to offer. i love cooking and get better and better at behavior modification around food the more i do it. speaking of behavior modification: i am pretty determined to find a source of dr. pepper with real sugar since i rarely/if ever consume high fructose corn syrup these days…ok ok years. as in two almost three! feels good :) in this venture it also helps to have an amazing antique gas stove to cook on in a huge kitchen. i will NEVER miss my tiny ass kitchen in my oakland studio even if i will forever miss Jasmine and probably my apartment since that is where i healed from VSPW and the accident and it all….
4. i KNEW i had not looked into fracking for a reason, however i met a kick ass hippy chic on greyhound (a recent prescott college grad with her degree in ethno gaia ology. its reality is far more awesome than the portlandia-esque name allows. she designed her degree to include lots of hard science, botany, stats, interconnectedness not just via sociology but thru science and math etc etc) and we ended up having a long and detailed conversation about it once i confessed my intentional ignorance. her mother had recently completed a cross country awareness raising tour on anti-fracking so i really chose the wrong person to admit said ignorance to had i wanted to really hang on to it. And rode right into to the belly of the beast: most wealth in oklahoma is centered around oil. (big surprise right?!)
5. hanging out with my oldest friend in the world is both amazing and sort of overwhelming at the same time. we have not hung out for like 25 years. i have done an incredible of amount of living in 25 years. i suppose i just realized typing this that i just need to breathe and be grateful and let being overwhelmed go. as per usual. lol. if only this knowledge would hurry up and transfer itself into practice. :)
6. off to walk in this snowy okc weather because GREYHOUND STILL SUCKS. not many individual employees who i am super glad exist but as a company and as far as their general customer support goes they are a super lame company. the people on the dallas bus may still be sleeping on a bus in the greyhound terminal parking lot in amarillo as far as i can tell since my bike was supposed to be on the first schedule out…even though i paid $40 extra on top of my $230 ticket from elko to okc (!!) to have it as checked luggage with me. evidently they did the same thing last xmas (making people sleep on a bus through a major snow when their service got terminated instead of issuing motel vouchers)… there was like 30 people on that bus, some of whom had paid >$400 for their BUS tickets. really you could not issue a $25 motel voucher in -0 degree weather? YOU SUCK GREYHOUND.
7. okcupid in okc is sort of scary. real talk.
8. more later and the lunch timer just went off and besides eating i have a lot to do!!! ttyl :) — with Jasmine Dk Shepard
and 3 others.